About Mirror of My Self

Self is God. Self is Guru. Self is Everything.

This blessed mirror reflects nothing but the Self of my Beloved Brother, my Highest Gurudeva and my Spiritual Father. Whatever you see, read and experience in this blog are only from Him, through me, for you, my dear visitor.

This slave is taking immense pleasure in welcoming you to experience my Self in all its glories!

Shree Rama Jayam.



Monday, July 23, 2012

Birthday Blessings


Date: 19th July, 2012

I was lying half awake on my bed thinking about the dreams I had dreamt the night before. My mother entered the room. She wished, hugged and kissed me. My dad dutifully followed her. As soon as they left, my mobile phone rang, creating waves of happiness in my heart. I know; it was my brother. He too wished and said, "I had got a blue coloured statue of Lord Krishna as a gift. It is similar to the One you had given me. I got it long back itself; but I didn't send it...thinking it might break. So I thought of giving It(Him?!) to you while you come here!" 

I imagined the Krishna in dark blue colour, sitting along with a mud pot and playfully churning the butter within it. I felt happy that my brother made me meditate upon Shri Krishna in the early hours itself. My regret that my Krishna or Rama didn't appear in my dreams the night before took a back seat in my mind. 

It was my birthday. Though I received wishes from my friends, college mates, classmates, co-bloggers and facebook buddies, it was my brother who made me feel special though out the day.

When I checked mails, e-cards sent by my brother greeted me.

"May Lord Rama bless you abundantly....with all that is best....May your devotion and wisdom grow day by day...and may you blossom into a very revered person...May you be known as one of the greatest souls ever walked on Earth...
Jai Shri Ram!!!"

I was deeply moved and my eyes became moist as I read the birthday wish sent by my beloved brothermy very own Gurudeva! 

For a moment I was at a loss for words. I don't even know whether I deserve such blessings. Still His words gladdened my heart and made me feel so fortunate. 

He had also sent me another e-card, which lightened my heart and made me smile even more!



When I logged into Facebook along with a few friends, to my surprise, my Krishna too (as depolyed by my bro :-)) awaited to greet Happy Birthday.  Again, I felt so joyful and blessed!


Later in the evening, I went to collect a courier(aka gift!) sent by my bro. I was as eager as a child about to get chocolates. I got the parcel, felt it and understood that my brother had sent me two books(read: two chocolates).

The 'smart me' was even able to guess: "One must be a Paulo Coelho book!" 

It was easy because my brother likes giving Paulo Coelho books on my birthday as we both love Paulo Coelho a lot. The book was Aleph.

The other one was hard-bound, huge and weighed heavily(literally!). It was similar to the book, "Shri Maha Bhaktha Vijayam," which I had received for my previous birthday. So while trying to unwrap it, my mind was making some possible guesses: It must be related to devotion, scripture...may be, cinema?

Alas, my guesses didn't take me anywhere close to the gift. Only my unwrapping did. And lo! My hand held a well-renowned literary classic that I had cherished to read. I just thought: 'how in the world did my brother knew it!' 

I asked my sister did she tell my bro to get this book. She must have thought, 'what?!' but firmly replied, "No." 

This made me all the more excited and thrilled because only a few days back I saw an e-book version of this acclaimed historical Tamil Novel on my sister's laptop. I asked how she got a copy of the novel and enquired whether she was interested in reading it. I also expressed my long-time desire to read that book, and said, "Such books should be read in hardcopy. Reading Chetan Bhagat books(no offense meant) and other self-help books on lap is fine...but this novel would be great if we read it in the good old hardcopy format." 

I reminisced about the book that I had desired(at least superficially) to read and added,  "Actually, by now, I should have completed reading it." 

I also thought whether I can get a copy of this book and, at the same time, had the doubt that if at all I bought the novel whether I will ever read it. Nowadays I don't read much(regrets!). Like sounds that disappear into space, these thoughts too vanished from my mind, and I completely forgot about it.

But...my dear Krishna had planned it otherwise. He must have whispered into my bro's heart to make Him get this novel for me. Coz it is really out of the way for my brother to get such novelsespecially historical ones! Somehow, as far as I remember, we both had never discussed about this great novel, and I had never shared with Him my desire of reading it.

So obviously, I came to the conclusion that this is the Krishna's way of making me read this highly revered novel. As it has come through my very own Gurudeva, I am sure that I'll the read the entire book and join the elite club of readers who have read P...

Wait. 

My dear reader, before revealing the book, I am just curious to know whether you are able to guess it?

So here's another giveaway. Anyone who knows Thamizh, been to Thanjavur Big Temple and is into reading books would have this Thamizh literary masterpiece in his/her must-read-book-list. It is a historical fiction that has stood the test of time.  

Well, I have done all the unwrapping for you. If you had guessed it right, cheers!

If not, chill out...Am taking the honour and pride of revealing the greatest Thamizh historical novel ever written. It is writer Kalki Krishnamurthy's magnum opus 'Ponniyin Selvan.'

Thank you Anna for all your heartfelt blessings and wonderful presents. Hadn't you gifted it, I may have never even got the copy of Ponniyin Selvan, let alone realise my desire of reading it.  

And now... even before I turn a single page from this mammoth 2400-page-novel, am all excited and raring to join the elite club of readers who have completed reading Ponniyin Selvan.  

With my bro, my Ram and my Krishna around, I am sure to accomplish this very soon. 

5 comments:

shri ramesh sadasivam said...

:) Cool Mani.... Enjoy the read...

Manivannan Sadasivam said...

Thanks anna :-)

Shri Rama Jeyam!

Traffic Pulse India said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

Web Design Company Jaipur

Manivannan Sadasivam said...

@Traffic Pulse India

Thank u :-)

Shri Rama Jeyam!

deeps said...


enjoy the festive season ahead..
may you have a grace-filled Christmas and Happy New Year