About Mirror of My Self

Self is God. Self is Guru. Self is Everything.

This blessed mirror reflects nothing but the Self of my Beloved Brother, my Highest Gurudeva and my Spiritual Father. Whatever you see, read and experience in this blog are only from Him, through me, for you, my dear visitor.

This slave is taking immense pleasure in welcoming you to experience my Self in all its glories!

Shree Rama Jayam.



Sunday, September 27, 2009

Blessed are those who rise early!

Today, when I woke up at the wee hours of (Sunday!) morning, little did my mind entertain such thoughts. Rather, it was religiously thinking of ways to get back the lost sleep. I took my mobile phone, and curled myself under the blanket. The time was quarter to five. To my surprise, the alarm set at five o'clock was on.

[Note: Though as a sadhana, I s
et the alarm, everyday, before I go to bed; many a day, I would wake up only to find the alarm to be turned off. Though am always eager to discover this mystery, I never dare to ask my brother about it :-).]

After many futile attempts to sleep, I had to threw caution to the wind. And, I threw it happily. Because a thought flashed in my mind, energising all the lethargic and reluctant cells in my brain.

Just a few days ag
o, I read that Ramana Maharishi, the great sage, never used to sleep in the early hours of morning. Even while in ill health, he was always up with the larks. When his attendants had requested him to sleep a little longer, he had replied, "What is the point in sleeping at the time of the Brahma Muhurtham (4 to 6 am) ? If you want, you may sleep!"

Inspired, I left the cozy cot, and trudged myself to give all the laziness and sleepiness a wash. As I opened the door, the dewy breeze embraced me. It must have rained in the night, I said to myself, and splashed the cold water on my face. When a few droplets ran into my earlobes, my hairs stood on the end. The chillness was indeed a thrill.

I came back to my room, and after much pondering, I sat for meditation. Noisy and restless, my mind wouldn't let me enjoy the pleasure of chanting for long.

It was
dawn, when I opened my eyes. I looked out through the window. A blanket of pregnant clouds hung down. But there was no rain. The diffused sunlight glittered the wet roads, trees, flowers, and, and... my heart :-).

In high spirits, I armed myself with my camera and headed out, not knowing what Krishna had to bless me with.

Ever The Gracious, He made me behold the sight of
the white little jasmine flowers, scattered right at the entrance of my mansion. And lo! There awakened my visual eye :-).

Adieu, my love!

Roads
Smeared with tar
Adorned by flowers!

A perfect family?!
Duet in rain!
Sun or rain
Flowers never blame
A day or two they live
Yet, immense joy they give!

Dear readers, hope you enjoyed the Sunday morning with me. It was only after enjoying the silence, beauty and joy of early morning hours, I thought, "Blessed are those who rise early!"
...............................................................................................
My heartfelt Navarathri, Ayudha Pooja & Vijayadasami wishes to one and all! Happy Celebrations!!!

41 comments:

Shravan said...

nice pics there :) and am in a hurry.. leaving this place for some days :)

shri ramesh sadasivam said...

Mani,

You have in you an excellent photographer, a gifted writer and witty poet. I can see them trying to outperform each other in this post.

Well done!!Keep it up!

Mustaf said...

This is indeed true, the early morning is the time to enjoy the blessings of the mother nature.

And i am never a early riser since my childhood till date, my mother always insists me to wake up early as that is the best time for study, but I could never do that.Have tried every possible thing without success, may be "not everything is meant for everyone" :(

Niru said...

Wow! what a wonderful photography!

:) :) :)
I am 100% sure with Krishna's blessing you took these photoes of jasmine flowers.
Krishna brought Paarijatham to earth.It's the highest breed among all jasmines.
Lord Hanuman's favourite flower is paarijatham.In our Hanuman Temple everyday he wears garland that made by jasmine flowers that you photographed.Because paarijatham is not availabe near by.
You brought smile in my face by this photoes as it brought me the thought of Hanuman :)

''When his attendants had requested him to sleep a little longer, he had replied, "What is the point in sleeping at the time of the Brahma Muhurtham (4 to 6 am)?''
I sleep well in Brahma Muhurtham.Let me correct myself :(

Good post & Good Photography!

Leo said...

ah, such beautiful words and fantastic fotography dude! lovely! :)

manivannan said...

#Shravan

oh! Guess that has nothing to do with the thoughts shared here shravan :P

Keep going!!

manivannan said...

#shri ramesh sadasivam

Thank you so much for your encouraging words anna....it's all 'cause of you...you're my source of inspiration :-)

Whirlwind said...

Wow really beautiful!! Teaches one the art of enjoying a Sunday Morning!!

manivannan said...

#Mustaf

he he :-)

I, too, am not a early riser mustaf....but, you know, sometimes, some experiences changes everything :-) And, at least, makes us aspire to.... Though am not sure whether it will continue forever :D

Thanks for the read, my brother.
Have a very cheerful week ahead!

venus66 said...

It's a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. I loved the smell of jasmine.
Have a great week ahead. Take care.

manivannan said...

#Niru

Yes...you're certainly right. it was by the Grace of my Kirshna I was able to capture them.

I never knew both....that Krishna brought Parijatham to Earth, and it's the favourite flower of Hanumanji...Thanks a lot for enlightening me :-)

Also, am gladdened that those flowers brought a smile on your face...and the thought of Hanumanji :-)

Thanks again for your appreciative comments. And my best wishes for rising early :D

manivannan said...

#Leo

Am glad to see you again Leo.
Thanks a ton for your appreciative comment.I value your words a lot :-)

Have a great week ahead!

manivannan said...

#Whirlwind

That's very heartening to know Swetha. Thank u very much :-)

Cheers!

manivannan said...

#venus66

Me too Venus...love the fragrance of jasmine...esp after a downpour :-)

Thanks a lot for liking the post, my friend.

Best wishes :-)

Vishwanath Seshadri said...

A truly wonderous post, Mani... Your words are enchanting and the thoughts sublime.. Your pictures are the icing in the cake..

You made an important point of being awake in the early hours.. Something we find so difficult to do... esp. as we hit the bed late and the soft breeze in the early morning is so tempting...

Any case, your post is an eye opener and I will try to follow it as much as possible..

Coincidentally, I just posted a blog on sleep :-))

manivannan said...

#Vishwanath Seshadri

Thank you very much for your kind words of appreciation Vish! Am immensely glad that the post inspires you to rise early. You've made a valuable point....we must develop the habit of being early to bed. Like you, even I'm really tempted to do so :D

Let us try our best to wake early my brother.

Ah! That's an interesting coincidence, nah?! :-) Will check out immediately!

Rush said...

the describe cudnt have been better....im in love with jasmine...imagining opening ur eyes to it!!

Demetris said...

pictures are nice - i am a great nature lover, so i like all these things.
as for waking up early... hm, i must admit taht i like sleeping very much. and it is very difficult for me to wake up in mornings. so, i always wait for weekends to have more time to sleep. lol!

deeps said...

thats spilling with wisdom ..
bt i wonder if it s meant for guys like me :-p

ohh night is so very Blessed :-)

Amritbir Kaur said...

I felt as if I myself experienced the spirit of a Sunday morning...nice one with beautiful pics

Being Pramoda... said...

Hey..Nice one.. i too had similar experiences amidst of the sleep..:) once i too had taken the pics of the whether outside..:)..

I read one book recently.. in that the author says..A human rquires just 4 hrs of sleep..nothing more nothing less.. and the fatigue we feel depends upon the thoughts n opinions that we have on less sleep..:)

And thank u soo much for the nice pics...loved them..:)

a tint of mist said...

Hi Mani,
How r u?
I missed a fabulous Sunday with u coz I was home offlie this weekend..

This was , I don't know why, the most lovely, simple and soothing post u have put up till date.

I loved n loved those cute jasmin flowers. I wish their aroma stays forever with u..

To be able to have those eyes which see life in simple things is a gift from God..A door to peace..
Take care.

A New Beginning said...

Beautifully described...deeply felt :)

Creativity!! said...

Woww :D Soooo Beautiful Post :D Awesome Pictures :D

Princess said...

wow, lovely photos and a great expression of the beauty.. :)

advanced diwali wishes.

-Aiz.

manivannan said...

#Rush

Thank you Rush :-) Happy to you're in love with jasmine :D It's wonderful :D

manivannan said...

#Demetris

Lol! That's very interesting :D
Welcome to my blog :-) Am pleased to have met a Nature Lover :D
Thanks a bunch for dropping by. Plzz do keep coming back!

Cheers!

manivannan said...

#deeps

So you sleep only in night, is't? :D
That's really great Deeps :D So, I second your opinion, nights are indeed blessed :-))

Thanks a lot for the read my friend. Your comments are appreciated, always :-) And nice to see you here after a long time.

Have a pleasant day!

manivannan said...

#Amritbir Kaur

I couldn't ask for more Amritbir :-) Am immensely gald! Thank you very much for your appreciative comment.

Have a great time!

manivannan said...

#Being Pramoda...

The author is certainly right Pramoda...just a minimum of 6 hours sleep is enough for a very healthy life. If we are very peaceful and conscious of our thoughts and actions, 4 hours sleep is more than enough.

But since our minds are agitated and not so relaxed, we sleep more.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughtful insights. And am glad you too had a similar experience :-)

Thanks again for enjoying the post and the pictures!

Aroha :-)

manivannan said...

#a tint of mist

I'm really fine Hasna :-) And I hope the same with you & your loved ones at home.

But, you did enjoy the Sunday with me, nah?!

Thank you very much for your heartwarming comment and wishes. Am delighted, and deeply touched... thanks again for your beautiful words and kind regards.
You too, take care, my friend!

manivannan said...

#A New Beginning

Thank you sana :-) Glad you enjoyed the post.

Cheers!

manivannan said...

#Creativity!!

Thanks you for the sweeet comments sahana :D

Have a great day!

manivannan said...

#Princess

Hi Princess!

Am surprised to see you after a long time. How have you been?

Thanks a lot for dropping by. Am really glad you liked the post :-) And, I know you will like them :D

Advance Diwali Wishes to you and your family!

Plzz do keep blogging :-)

Cheers!

a tint of mist said...

I have made a humble attempt to translate the Malayalam lines into English for you..
To translate from mother tongue to another language is difficult, isn't it?

Cyrus Rumi said...

With such thoughts and spirituality...you shall never walk alone...your journey will be made easy...

Namaste brother,

Cyrus

manivannan said...

#a tint of mist

O! Thanks a lot for the translation Hasna...I agree with you translation from Mother tongue to a foreign language, that too without losing its beauty, is very tough...But I've to say you have done a great job!!

And am glad that I was a tool :-)

My best wishes to you!

manivannan said...

#Cyrus Rumi

My heartfelt thanks for your assurance brother! Your words mean a lot to me :-) And with having such wonderful brothers like you, my journey is sure to be easy :-)

Thanks again, and Namaste to you and your loved ones!

Take care.

Ayesha Parveen said...

Nice pictures, Mani :) Have a great weekend.

manivannan said...

#Ayesha Parveen

Thanks Ayesha :-) Happy you liked it!

You too, have a great weekend!

வடுவூர் குமார் said...

My grand father used to say "Get up before sun rise"
Reasons
1.He believes that northerly wind come from himalayas and that is good for health.
2. Must do santiyavandanam before sunrise.
I got habituated.