About Mirror of My Self

Self is God. Self is Guru. Self is Everything.

This blessed mirror reflects nothing but the Self of my Beloved Brother, my Highest Gurudeva and my Spiritual Father. Whatever you see, read and experience in this blog are only from Him, through me, for you, my dear visitor.

This slave is taking immense pleasure in welcoming you to experience my Self in all its glories!

Shree Rama Jayam.



Sunday, May 24, 2009

Will this paradise also be lost?

Every human being in this vast universe has his or her own meaning for the word 'paradise'. For some it is music, for some it is books, for some it is nature, for the fortunate(?) it may be 'bottoms up', for the 'blessed ones' it is their own heart. But, for many tired souls, like me, I guess, it would be their hometown.

Coonoor, my hometown, is my own paradise on Earth.
Last week, I went to my home. It was a memorable trip, away from the sultry sun, maddening rush and meaningless chaos of city life.

After a night long journey, on the morning of 13th May, I reached Coonoor. Like an affectionate mother, the Sleeping Beauty caressed me with Her cool breeze. All the tiredness and fatigue of travelling in an unreserved compartment were swept away, and I was fresh like a roadside flower in Coonoor! :)

Four nights I stayed in my home. All I did was ate my mother's divine food, strolled amidst picturesque villages, breathed pristine air, played with my sweet nephews, sisters and brothers, lectured my wisdom whenever I got a chance :D, and remembered my KRISHNA while seeing....

the beautiful sunsets...


the gorgeous street beauties....

the sleepy hamlets...

the meditative mountains...

the green leaves...

the green grasses...

and the green trees!


Seeing unspoilt greenery strewn everywhere, my heart went out to sing....

"Paarkum Marangalellam Nandalala
Ninathan Pachainiram thondruthaiye Nandalala!"

[In every tree that I see, dear Krishna
I am remembered of your green colour, dear Krishna!]

Repeating those lyrical, magical and highly contagious verse of my favourite poet Bharathi...

"Paarkum Marangalellam Nandalala
Ninathan Pachainiram thondruthaiye Nandalala!"

...I photographed those wonderful moments in my beloved hometown.

The eye behind the photographs (he he!)

I hope, dear reader, you would have enjoyed the photographs. Now, I also want to share with you an inconvenient truth, silently happening, behind those beautiful sceneries...

The sad and bitter truth is, all is not that well in this paradise. This summer, because of sudden and unexpected, hailstorm
during the harvest time, many families, whose livelihood was depended on growing nurseries (for tea, flowers and fruits), were badly affected. They have lost their income for the next whole year. Their sweat and toil for over a year have not yielded them the fruit, they are rightly supposed to reap and enjoy. Few families have the luxury of steady income, others have to win their bread by working as day labours at construction sites and at other such places.

Especially, in
South India and Thamizh Naadu , many farmers, whose sole sustenance is dependent on agriculture, are continuously being helpless victims to unexpected rainfalls and floods, which now seems as a Nature's curse.

But is it the Nature's fault or humans' folly?


Any sensible person with a little bit of awareness would answer it right.
Yes! It is the fault of the so called evolved species with six senses, the humans. To know and understand this you don't have to watch Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, you don't have to read suffocating statistics and shocking research reports. If you just open your windows and doors, you can simply realize the ill effects of the drastic climate changes and mindless deforestation!

No other creature or species, in this universe, have been a threat to his own Mother. But we, the ever boastful humans, exploit and threaten the very life of our own Mother. Isn't it a shame on us? When we dare to keep a knife at our own Mother's heart and suck Her blood like vampires, how the hell can we be proud of our so-called achievements and all scientific wonders? For me, everything else seems just rubbish!

And, plastic bags
, the eternal enemy of Mother Nature, once banned in Coonoor, are now commonly used everywhere, which is a very sad and painful sight for me to behold.

Though I enjoyed my stay at home, deep down in my heart, I feared, and I still fear...


Will this paradise also be lost? Will only digital photographs and graphical images be left for our future generations to enjoy Mother Nature? Will they ever have the opportunity to breathe pure air?
Will they ever have the chance to drink clean water? Will they ever, by luck, experience Mother Nature with all Her glories? Will they ever know the joy of singing Nandalala amidst greenery? Will they ever see the Almighty's beauty in Nature's grandeur?

Will we bestow our children with joy and happiness? Or will we leave back only our transient wealth and genetic diseases?

Friends,
I am deeply worried. Think about it. And, PLEASE, AT LEAST FOR YOUR OWN CHILDREN'S SAKE, ACT, IN WHATEVER POSSIBLE WAYS YOU CAN!

29 comments:

Ayesha Parveen said...

Hi Manivannan,

This is a beautiful and thought-provoking post. I am glad you had a great time but am also saddened by the tone of the fear of losing paradise.

WOW! The pictures you have taken are simply awesome!

But do you know what I like best about this post? Your quoting the lines on Krishna, of course :)

Have a great day :)

Ayesha Parveen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KParthasarathi said...

The second part made for sad reading.The damage is silent and gradual but very sure.We don't see it only only to pay a heavy price in our own times or our childrens'It is good Manivannan,you are highlighting some serious issue in your posts.
The first part with its beautiful pics make one yearn for a visit to Coonoor.

venus66 said...

Very well captured pictures. Nature is so beautiful. Sad thing, the beautiful nature is slowly losing the beauty.
Your post is very thought provoking.

lakshmi said...

Hi Mani
The photos and the posting are thought provoking. It lies within us to provide the best for our children.......all it takes is a sincere effort on our part...but how many of us really even try it out...hope your posting is an eye opener to many around........

Sneha said...

Hi mani,
You write with passion about the natural beauty of your home town and the effects of global warming and excessive development around us. The human society would have to forgo its greed foe excessive materialistic possessions and would have to learn ways of sustainable economy progress that is inclusive of all sections of its society and surrounding environment.

Shravan | ശ്രവണ്‍ said...

morning Mani
i felt it, you wrote it with passion and consideration. and the first part was too awesome and the second part made me think.. and the post is thouught provoking.. well done mate.

A New Beginning said...

Hey!These pics are amazing..keeps one a very fresh feel!The post is great too!Keep up!

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mani:)

Your hometown is indeed a paradise. Since you work in a town, you are aware of the differences. The concrete jungle and verdant beauty. The pollution and clean pure air. The suffocating crowd and the leisurely life. The traffic jams and enjoyable rides. The song of the birds and hooting of the horns.

You are absolutely right about climate change. Every one knows about its evil but no one does anything about it. This will ultimately end in disaster in about 20 to 25 years. Perhaps you will be a middle aged man at that time and having a few children of your own. The children are going to be worst sufferers due to our wanton destruction of nature. Unless all of us understand the seriousness of the situation things will go from bad to worse. Then we will have to blame ourselves for the catastrophe.

Many thanks for this lovely post with excellent photos loaded with a warning.

I have a small request. I have posted two comments on Venus's post. But they are not appearing. There is some problem with her comment moderation. Can you please inform her?

Have a lovely day Mani:)
Joseph

manivannan said...

#Ayesha Parveen#

Hi ayesha ji,

Thanks a lot for your appreciative comments. I am glad you enjoyed the photos. And, I know, that you will like those lines the most, need you say :-) But, telling that makes me more happy, you must know :)))

*smiles*

manivannan said...

#KParthasarathi#

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts , and for your appreciation :-). I happy that the photos make you yearn for my hometown. Now, is the right season, so do visit, if possible, sir :-)

manivannan said...

# venus66 #

Much thanks for your valuable comment Venus. I am really happy that you're recent poems reflect the mindless destruction done to Nature. A *special thanks* for that friend...

Take care :)

manivannan said...

#lakshmi#

Thanks a ton for your words lakshmi akka...Yes, if we are sincere in our efforts, a change can be done...But will we do, is still a question? If this post turns out to be an eye opener, I would be happy that I have done, at least, a small part to save nature...

Thanks again for your encouraging comment :-)

Wish to read your poems soon!

manivannan said...

# Sneha #

Mucb thanks for the read and for sharing your thoughtful insights Sneha. I completely agree with your views, and am really glad to know them :-)

Take care friend!

slow processor said...

Thanks for your sweet comments on my posts.
I loved those yellow and pink flowers,they bloom in plenty in my home place too.

manivannan said...

# Shravan | ശ്രവണ്‍ #

You've said it right, shravan, indeed I wrote it with passion, fear and consideration...Many thanks for the read and appreciative words friend :)

manivannan said...

# A New Beginning #

Thank you sana, I am happy you liked them :)

Cheers!

manivannan said...

# Joseph Pulikotil #

Thanks a zillion for your lovely and thoughtful comment sir...Your comments always encourages me a lot, to write more. I wish many people create awareness about this issue!

And, I have commented on Venus blog, and have informed her...it's seem the comments need her approval. Even my comment did not appear. But I hope she must have received them :)

Happy blogging!

manivannan said...

# slow processor #

A warm welcome to my virtual home friend!

It was my pleasure, reading your posts, esp the poem :) And, I am glad to know you like those flowers. They are my favourites too!

Thanks a lot for dropping by. Like to see you again :-)

happy blogging!

Cyrus Rumi said...

I was touched by your beautiful photographs and your words...things will change...but they will, with regret, take time...too late for some...a sad fact.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Namaste.

Cyrus

Whirlwind said...

Very thought provoking indeed.And lovely pictures. Have added you to me feed as well.

surjit said...

Very well said.The pictures are really eye catching.Your thoughts are admirable.
God bless.

manivannan said...

#Cyrus Rumi#

Namaste brother!

Many thanx for the words of comfort and hope. Though it's late, I wish and pray that your words come true.

And I'm really glad to have your comments here!

take care friend :-)

manivannan said...

#Whirlwind#

Hi swetha!

Welcome to my space :-) Much thanks for your read and appreciative comment.

And special thanks for *cheering* me!

*smiles and wishes*

manivannan said...

#surjit#

Thank you surjit ji. I am glad you liked it :-)

Have a wonderful day!

Vishwanath Seshadri said...

Hi Mani,

Great to know that you are from Conoor, a place which I believe is more beautiful that even Ooty. Your pictures were nice, your verse about Krishna was very very nice.

Keep blogging.

I also loved your post on Tender Coconut :-)

cheers

Vish

deeps said...

Maybe we are at the edge of paradise lost …..
To regain it as you request we need a collective effort from everyone’s part…

I have read a few articles by Ramana Maharishi (actually I HAD to for writing a paper)… though don’t know much about him, I know his thoughts are really deep ….enjoyed reading them …

manivannan said...

#Vishwanath Seshadri#

Hi Vish,

I am happy to receive your comments! Since Ooty is more visited by tourists its beauty is more exploited. But being my hometown, I agree, when compared, Coonoor is more beautiful :D

And am glad you enjoyed the photos and the poem also :-)

The lines about Krishna was written by the great poet Mahakavi Bharathiyar.

Thanks a lot for your visit and appreciative comments! Do come again :-)

Cheers!!!

manivannan said...

#deeps#

Welcome here deeps! Much thanks for the read and thoughtful comments.

I am glad to know that you have enjoyed reading about Ramana Maharishi (I guess, you must be fortunate, if you HAD to read about HIm :D)

Yes! His teachings are simple but very profound!

If you like to know more about him, visit the link below...
http://www.sriramanamaharshi.org/teachings.html

Happy blogging!