About Mirror of My Self

Self is God. Self is Guru. Self is Everything.

This blessed mirror reflects nothing but the Self of my Beloved Brother, my Highest Gurudeva and my Spiritual Father. Whatever you see, read and experience in this blog are only from Him, through me, for you, my dear visitor.

This slave is taking immense pleasure in welcoming you to experience my Self in all its glories!

Shree Rama Jayam.



Friday, October 3, 2008

A panda to ponder


I watched Kung Fu Panda, yet another enthralling CG-animated film from DreamWorks. I simply loved the movie.

The film begins with the legendary warrior, Po, exhibiting his unmatched martial skills against the demons and saving the good-hearted souls. Awed by his ferocious kung fu skills, the famous fighters – The Furious Five – surrender to him. Together they ally to seize the unconquerable demon valley.

But before the battle begins…LOL it ends. Yes! The dreaming Po is woken up by his father.

The fat, clumsy, Po is the son of a noodle-maker. But he (lend me your ears) loves, dreams and breathes Kung Fu, secretly. Because his father, Mr. Ping (goose), wants him to take over their family business, the noodle restaurant, and is waiting for the opportune time to tell Po the secret ingredient, that makes his noodle-soup special.

On the same day Master Hoogway (tortoise), who invented kung fu and now a spiritual advisor, has a premonition that the evil warrior Tai Lung (snow leopard), once a student of Master Shifu (red panda), will escape from prison and return to threaten the Valley of Peace. So, Hoogway decides to choose the Dragon Warrior, who, by knowing the secret of sacred Dragon Scroll, will defeat the bad boy, Tai Lung.

One of the most accomplished students among the furious five - tigress, Monkey, Mantis, Viper, and Crane – is expected to gain the honour of Dragon Warrior. But destiny has its own plans. Po is been chosen by Hoogway. Does Po - the generously proportioned, voracious eater - master the martial skills and defeat Tai Lung forms the rest of the story.

Of course, it’s one of the dog-eared stories, but the excellent animation, strong characterization, brilliant voicing and rib -tickling wits work the magic. Especially the Po’s dream sequence, Tai Lung’s escape from prison and the dumpling chase fight between Po and Shifu are breathtaking. Top them with the philosophical contemplations of Hoogway, you get a panda to ponder.

Following our dreams, a disturbed mind can’t see things clearly, guru choosing his disciple, blind infatuation is fatal, the secret is nothing and, of course, THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS are some of the philosophical dosages I got watching kung fu panda.

(I loved the scene where Hoogway asks Shifu to trust Po, as the dragon warrior, and then ascends to heaven)

This movie remained me of the relationship between Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and my big brother Swami Vivekananda.

Ramakrishna showed great affection and love towards Narendra, who was not aware of his own greatness. Because Ramakrishna knew that Narendra is the one who was destined to spread his message across the world. Like a sculptor who sees the sculpture hidden in a rock, Ramakrishna saw Vivekananda in Narendra and sculpted him.

My guru, what sculpture do you see in this rock?

6 comments:

shri ramesh sadasivam said...

Nice review mani. Your usage of words is awesome. The movie is truly a spiritual retreat. I enjoyed the movie as much as you and your review as well.

manivannan said...

Thank you very much for your kind words na. I know you'll enjoy the movie, but was not sure of my post :)

Kat said...

A nice and interesting review Mani. Our entire family loved the KF-Panda. And you've summarised well the 'philosophical dosages'.

I loved the 'nothing' in the noodles ingredient and the powerful secret dragon scroll parchment. The reflective surface reflects the person viewing it... indicating that the POWER is within the person.

Probably the reason you've titled "Mirror of My Self" ? :-))))

manivannan said...

Thank you Kat for giving a new meaning to my title.So you see the power within me :))

Princess said...

your views for this movie is exactly the same as mine except for your correlation with the saints..
thanks

manivannan said...

# Princess

That's really nice to know Aiz...the correlation with the saints was because of my spiritual inclination :)

Much thanks for the read friend.